Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility
Hotel practises Responsible Business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children's rights, health and safety, as well as environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group corporate international charity organisation, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the Foundation is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
Below are some of the RB activities and achievements of this hotel:
The hotel is the proud winner of the Failte Ireland 2009 Green Hospitality Award Silver level and the 2008 Green Hospitality Award Bronze level. "Greening Irish Hospitality" is the hotel's focus and aim, and the Green Hospitality Award (GHA) is now recognised as one of the most successful programmes in Europe. This is a voluntary programme that demonstrates leadership in environmental management within the hospitality sector. Each successful member receives an award based on a set of strict criteria.
- Asking suppliers to use reusable containers to reduce package waste
- Encourage guests to offset carbon emissions through Club Carlson
- Excellent glass, cardboard, and paper recycling
- Excellent recycling of hazardous and WEEE waste by providing guests with collection point in main hotel reception
- Prevention of waste through operational and service changes through staff training
- Trash separation to reduce landfill waste
- Identifying and repairing leaks as soon as possible
- Reducing water consumption through taps and shower flow restrictors
- Reducing water consumption through toilets by installing low flush option
- Controlling car park and outside lighting by timers
- Reducing energy consumption through staff training
- Reducing energy costs by using low-energy bulbs where possible
Social, economic and community involvement
The hotel held a charity golf classic to aid the North West hospice which provides essential care for patients with terminal illness, support for their families and educational resources in all aspects of palliative care. The staff of the hotel chose the hospice as it relies so heavily on public funding to maintain its service.
At various fundraising events, the hotel has auctioned the services of the head chef Joe Shannon to cook dinner for 10 at the home of the highest bidder; food is also supplied by the hotel. At various events this year, the hotel has raised EUR 6,000 for charitable causes.
How can guests help?
- Bring used batteries to reception
- Close windows while air conditioning is on
- Conserve water by not running the tap while brushing teeth
- Offset the carbon emissions with the Gold Point Plus Loyalty card
- Participate in the towel reuse programme
- Participate in the waste recycling programme by sorting waste accordingly in the bins provided
- Save energy by switching off appliances when not in use
- Use public transport where possible when visiting Sligo